In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 423
Online now 388 Record: 3559 (6/2/2013)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
A little over an hour from kick-off. Have at it, ladies and gents.
im jacked up for this game.. have a good feeling about this one.
Pregame notes courtesy of VirginiaSports.com ...
•Virginia concludes its 2012 season with a trip to Blacksburg for a meeting with inter-state rival, Virginia Tech, Saturday at noon. The game will be televised live on ESPNU.
• Virginia Tech leads the all-time series 51-37-5 and has won 12 of the last 13 meetings, including eight-straight. Tech has also taken 15 of the teams’ last 19 meetings.
• The series began in 1895 with UVa gaining a 38-0 win in Charlottesville.
• UVa’s most recent victory in the series was a 35-21 win at home in 2003.
• The winner of this game claims the Commonwealth Cup for the next year.
• After holding the trophy following wins in 1997 and 1998, the Cavaliers have taken it just once since then (2003) with the Hokies winning 12 of the last 13 meetings.
• The award was started for the 1996 game between the two state foes, with the Hokies receiving the trophy for the first time with a 26-9 win.
• The Cup is made of marble and cherry wood, stands four feet high and weighs more than 100 pounds.
• The scores of all 93 games in the rivalry are engraved on the sides of the trophy.
• Three UVa coaches are veterans of the Virginia-Virginia Tech rivalry.
• Shawn Moore and Anthony Poindexter are Virginia alums.
• Moore quarterbacked the Cavaliers in wins over the Hokies in 1988 and 1989 and a loss in 1990.
• Poindexter was 2-2 during his tenure at defensive back from 1995-98, with wins over Tech in 1997 and 1998, although he was injured for the 36-32 victory in 1998 in Blacksburg.
• Head coach Mike London was a UVa assistant coach during the 2001-04 and 2006-07 seasons, with the Cavaliers going 1-5 during that span, including a victory in 2003. He is 0-2 as a head coach against Virginia Tech.
• In addition, graduate assistant Marques Hagans played for the Commonwealth Cup as Cavalier player. UVa Gradu- ate assistant Jonathan Lewis played in the rivalry on the other side of the ball, for Virginia Tech. Lewis, a defensive tackle, played in four Commonwealth Cup games for the Hokies (2002-05).
• Virginia Tech head coach Frank Beamer was a varsity defensive back for the Hokies from1966-68. He made his first start in Tech’s 1966 game against Virginia, a 24-7 Hokies’ victory.
• UVa’s Michael Rocco hails from Lynchburg, Va., as does Virginia Tech’s starting QB Logan Thomas.
• Rocco played for his father Frank at Liberty Christian Academy and Thomas starred at Brookville HS. • See page three for complete information on FBS quarterbacks from the same city.
• Scoring plenty of points against the Hokies means good things for the Cavaliers.
• Virginia has scored at least 32 points in each of its last seven series wins dating back to 1989.
• This game is the Cavaliers’ final contest of the 2012 season.
• UVa is 44-74-4 all-time in regular-season finales and has lost its last eight.
• This is the seventh straight year and the 18th time in the last 22 seasons Virginia has closed the regular season against the Hokies.
I didnt make the trip today, feeling too crappy. Atleast I get to watch the beating in the comfort of my own living room and not in the cold surrounded by hokies.
Moses good to go?
He's dressed and warming up. Going to be a gametime decision.
Weather could definitely have an impact here. Wind gusts have been recorded at over 30mph on the field.
Hells to tha naw.
UVa wins the toss and defers to the second half.
lets go hoos.. D on the field first..
Come on Hoos, I'll be pleasantly surprised if we're in this game in the 4th...
OH lordy Im nervous!!!!
oh shit.. we lost, cherry is the official..
And Ron Cherry comes in with the Pass Interference call on Anthony Harris extending the VT drive.
Yup. Clear who he wants to win from the get go..
Great play by Tra there to break the pass up to Davis.
Had the same thought
there that accurate thomas i like to see..
Logan Thomas with an atrocious pass on third down. VT forced to punt.
Nice NFL throw Logan!!
Punt time fools. Thomas hurting them with that sorry pass, good thing he didnt catch it though he was gona get crushed.
Virginia will start on its own 9. Michael Rocco will be the first QB in.
Man they just thrased us on that first run. Everyone came in for that.
huge first down..nice throw rocco
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports